Every age is excellent for the magic of Disneyland! Sure, at a certain age they may not remember it, but when you see their eyes light up with wonder, YOU will remember it! Naturally, vacationing with a little one can present a few extra challenges, so here are some tips:
Baby Care Centers: An air conditioned building with toys, a TV, nursing rooms, rocking chairs and changing tables. An excellent spot to change a diaper, have a snack, or relax.
In Disneyland Park, the Baby Care Center is located at the end of Main Street USA, next to First Aid.
In California Adventure Park, the Baby Care Center is located in Pacific Wharf, next to Ghirdelli
Kid Warnings: Most rides at Disneyland are for the entire family; however, aside from the roller coasters, here are a few others you might want to be aware of:
- Pirates of the Caribbean has 2 small drops in the ride. You do not get wet, but it can take you by surprise. Also is dark and has skeletons.
- The Haunted Mansion isn’t too scary, but can be a bit much for timid little ones.
- Fantasmic! the nightly show has some darker scenes with the villains and can be frightening to some kids.
- Snow White’s Scary Adventures is actually, a bit scary due to the Wicked Queen. It’s just your classic Disney ride with colorful scenery, but to a child it becomes real.
- Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride has a few scary points, if you recall in the movie Mr. Toad actually dies and goes to hell, and this is depicted in the ride.
- Captain EO is a 4D movie featuring Michael Jackson. He fights large and strange looking aliens. It can also be very loud!
California Adventure Park:
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is spooky. It has lots of ghosts and is very dark.
- It’s Tough to Be a Bug is a 4D show, featuring It’s a Bug Life, the bugs are LARGE and it can be scary.
- Mickey’s Fun Wheel some of the gondolas swing/slide between the spokes of the wheel. You can ask for a non-moving gondola.
Kid Favorites: here are some favorites for the little ones!
- Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a slow-moving ride that takes you through a journey with Pooh to find honey
- Fantasyland of course has many rides the little ones will love! Dumbo, it’s a small world, Mad Tea Party, Peter Pan’s Flight, and Casey Jr Circus Train – among others
- Mickey’s Toontown is a very fun area to explore – you can go inside the homes of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Chip & Dale! There is a “kiddy-coaster”, a few hands on elements, and you can often meet a few characters in the area too!
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters is a hit with almost every age
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage where you go underwater in a real submarine and visit Nemo and all your friends from the movie as they swim by your pothole.
California Adventure Park:
- Aside from It’s Tough to be a Bug, most rides in a bug’s land will be a big hit with the kids. They are simple, but cute and fun.
- As long as they hit the height requirements, most kids adore all the rides in Cars Land
- The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is a huge play area and has characters from the movie Up doing meet & greets
- Monsters, Inc Mike & Sulley to the Rescue is an adorable slow-moving ride featuring your favorite monsters
- Toy Story Midway Mania is fun for the whole family!
Child Switch: When the adults and/or older children want to ride some of the thrills, what do you do with the child(ren) who cannot, or simply don’t want to ride? Use a Child Switch!
Here is how it works:
- Take your entire family up to the front of the line and ask for a Child Switch pass.
- You will be given a small ticket that looks like a FastPass stub.
- Adult A and the child(ren) who want to ride go into the line, while Adult B and the child(ren) who are not riding go elsewhere.
- When Adult A and child(ren) are done, the adults switch places, and the child(ren) who want to ride again, can!
- You use the Switch Pass to go through the FastPass queue. Only one parent has to wait in line, and the child(ren) can get two rides if they desire!
- You do not have use to the Child Switch pass right away – you can save it for later in the day.
- Child Switch & FastPass can be used together. One adult has a FastPass, the other adult has a Child Switch, both would end up using the FastPass queue to save even more time.
- You can take up to 3 people on a single Child Switch pass